Saturday, October 8, 2011

Drawing From Ancient Wisdom


It is humbling for a provincial person like me to realize that my words are being read half a world away.  Was it Socrates who did not want his words written down, fearing that they would be misunderstood?  If we were communicating face to face, I could tell you if you were enraged at my words and I would apologize.  Or if you were bored, I would change the subject, but if you were interested I could go into more depth.  Alas, we must make do with a virtual relationship of sorts and I must rely on your forbearance and you must rely on my good intentions.

I probably should explain why I, without extensive Chinese cultural knowledge or background think that I can talk about Feng Shui, which, as I’ve explained originated in ancient China.  I remember that I had two women of Chinese cultural heritage in one of my Feng Shui classes. I told them that I felt quite intimidated and somewhat arrogant presuming to  teach them about their own heritage.  They laughed and said, “We haven’t the foggiest idea about Feng Shui, so don’t worry! We are here to learn!”

When I first heard the words feng shui, I couldn’t even remember how to say them.  But, I kept hearing reference after reference to Feng Shui and I became curious.  It happened that I had the opportunity to attend an in-depth seminar training for Feng Shui consultants. I don’t know how to explain this, but I immediately “got it.” Really, it was as if I’d always known this. My  philosophy for my clients is that we are not trying to duplicate Chinese philosophy or culture but draw from its wisdom and relate it to our lives today.

Don't forget to check back for more posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment